Background

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I'm the problem!

Andrew and I have been watching what we spend our money on pretty closely over the last couple months so we can figure out where in the heck it is all going and cut back on certain areas.

Well, I've figured out that I'm the problem. He will disagree I'm sure but I seriously am. In general, I think women tend to spend more money then men. Don't you? I mean, up until a month ago, Andrew wore the same pair of khakis almost everyday to work. Occassionally he'd throw on a black pair of dress pants but in general, he'd just wash the khaki's every 3-5 days so he could continue wearing them. Men's styles don't change with each season. They don't need to buy specific shoes to go with a specific outfit. No! 1 pair of brown shoes. 1 pair of black shoes and they are set! I on the otherhand run through clothes like no other. Especially in the last year! I mean I'm not the same size I was a year ago - I lost a bunch of baby weight over the summer but my shape is different after having Owen so I can't wear the same clothes I had before I was pregnant. Therefore, I had to purchase new clothes for work. And new clothes for "relaxing" Clothes cost money.

I notice that I end up picking stuff up to that I need - panty hose, hair gel, hair spray, new shampoo, face soap, face lotion, astringent, etc. that Andrew never needs! So automatically, I am taking out more from the family pot then he is!

Now, Andrew seems to always "want" or "need" the bigger ticket items. The game's, the blu-rays, the big tvs, etc. But those are things that last for a long time. Its not something you run out of, like shampoo. So he may get a big ticket item every couple years but overall, I think my "little ticket" items add up to a lot more than his big ones.

Also, I like to have healthy eating options in the house. I like having fresh fruit and veggies to eat. Andrew would probably live off of fast food, mac and cheese, pizza, and hamburgers if he could. Living off of fast food ($1 menu!) and mac and cheese would probably be a lot cheaper then the healthy stuff I insist on buying.

I also have more health issues then him. My immune system basically sucks so I always end up getting sick at least 2-3 times every winter which calls for a trip to the dr. This year so far, I've had an ear infection, a stomach bug, a sinus infection, and yet another ear infection. I've been to my primary care physician three times, urgent care twice, and an ENT once. I've been on antibiotics 3 times, pain pills once and herbal supplements twice. I'm also still in treatment and on medication of my PPD so I've been to see that doctor 3 times this year so far. And I'm in chiropractic care for my neck (which was hurt in a car accident over 10 years ago!) and have been to see him at least 10 times already. So, if you add that all up, I've proabably spent a good $800 on medical stuff already this year. Now, spring is coming and I've started taking a multi-vitamin and drinking OJ everyday so I'm hoping to avoid getting sick anymore. But still.

So you see, I'm the problem. I am the reason we have no money. What an awful realization to come to. *sigh*

Love,
E

1 comment:

  1. Now Erin. Some of the stuff you mentioned are things you have to have. You have to wash your hair and your face so you can cancel out all the health and beauty supplies that "you" need. Andrew has to wash his hair too!!! (otherwise you two would be smelly).

    Secondly, yes your immune system isn't the greatest but think about how much it would cost if you didn't have insurance? Continue drinking the OJ and taking the vitamin all year (not just spring).

    You have to analyze the "other" spendings. Going out to eat, go to the movies, etc.

    We all need new clothes (and yes guys don't seem to have to shopping as much as girls do but you NEEDED the clothes. You had a baby for Christ's sake! Your body changed)

    Don't be so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete